- Managed development and support departments through periods of substantial change
- A problem solver and process improver; building close client and supplier relationships
- Contract and Stakeholder management (Internal, Client, Supplier, and Third-Party)
- Strong commercial focus in development of IT and business strategies
- Co-ordination and management of staff, resources, above- and below- line budgets
- Pan-European multi-site experience in multiple disciplines with relevant language skills
- Broad commercial consultancy and research analyst with an ability to prioritise and plan
- Strong business acumen allied to practical experience, learning from both mistakes and successes
- Direct and indirect sales experience from bid to completion across a range of markets
- International, pan-European, and global development and implementation experience
- Believer in the use of Open Source software (LAMP) where available and appropriate
- Quality client-facing communication, consultative and presentation skills at all levels & media
- User, pre-, & post-sales liaison and support; contract negotiation and problem resolution skills
- Flexibility of approach to operate effectively within a dynamic and demanding environment
- Enthusiastic, energetic, adaptable, patient and friendly
- High capacity and quick ability to learn new markets & skills
- MBA degree (AACSB, AMBA, & Equis accredited) with Marketing, Finance, Strategy and Innovation specialisations
- Track record of setting and achieving metrics - attention to detail
- Proactive, driven, looking for new entrepreneurial challenges
- Well-organised with ability to manage multiple and concurrent projects across sites
- Experienced systems integrator and database architect
- Excellent analytical skills regarding contractual, technical and financial issues
- Highly developed problem solving and code development skills
- Demonstrable strong writing, design and communication skills
- Experienced overseas & UK business traveller, able to travel as required at minimal notice.
- Invited participant at multinational conferences; German and French language skills
- Track record of setting and achieving metrics - attention to detail; Project, deadline, and team oriented
- and, not least, Passionate about providing more that the customer expects
Track Record & Skills
|Business Consultant, The Creative Organisation
|CEO / Chair, Wiki Educational Resources Ltd t/a Wikimedia UK
|Chief Technology Officer, NWUK
|MBA Student, Open Business School
electives: Strategy, Financial Strategy, Marketing in a Complex World, and Creativity, Innovation and Change
|Chief Technology Officer, narrateo
|Head of Technology, Capital Radio Group - Interactive
|Group Internet Program Manager, CHS Electronics Inc
|Business & systems Consultant, Sperry Univac
|Sales & Marketing Support / Analyst, British Olivetti
|Computer Systems Programmer, Spillers Group
About - Professional
Born Friday, April 13, 1956 in Hemel Hempstead, I first discovered an interest in computers on a valve-based analogue computer which had been donated to my school (Apsley Grammar School, later Longdean Comprehensive), where I subsequently took over the teaching of the course in BASIC (for a DEC PDP-10) and then taught myself Fortran. While there I also learnt music composition and performance under Iris du Pré. Subsequently I attended Imperial College London, reading Computing Science. Since then I've received a Certificate in Natural Sciences, and an MBA from the Open University's Business School.
An active supporter and developer of Open Source / FLOSS / Open Content projects, including Wikipedia, where I was Executive Director of the UK Wikimedia Chapter for three years, and am still closely involved with the Wikimedia Foundation. Other positions have included Global internet & e-commerce Program Manager for a Miami-based Fortune #300 world-wide distributor, Head of Technology at Capital Radio Interactive, and CTO for a number of start-ups. My earlier years in the computer industry were spent with major manufacturers in technical marketing and prototype development.
Now, alongside being Managing Consultant of The Creative Organisation I am working on a number of other projects (below). Between October 2009 and summer 2010 I was a regular Volunteer Guide at The National Museum of Computing, located within Bletchley Park. When moved, I blog at alisonw.com and elsewhere, also getting involved in varous Social Media groups, Hackdays and BarCamps.
The Creative Organisation is the trading name of Alison M Wheeler & Associates, and has been trading since 1984, since 1990 under its current name, as a business support, management consultancy, web site design and creativity training company for computer and general business fields. I split my time between my London base near Hampstead Heath and a home in the country near Whipsnade Zoo.
About - Personal
I was an organiser of the London Lesbian and Gay Pride march and festival between 1983 and 1991, and a founding member of the London chapter of the Lesbian Avengers and of the London Lesbian and Gay Centre in the 1980s. In 1990 I sought a break from the computing industry and returned to an interest from school in the entertainment business, taking six shows to the Edinburgh fringe. I followed that by becoming Chief Electrician - responsible for production lighting and sound - at the Sherman Theatres in Cardiff. Maintaining that interest in later years I became chief engineer of the RSL radio station Brazen Radio in 1994, which was the London's first women-only broadcast radio station (The second in the UK).
Outside this work in gay and women's politics, I was an active member of the Liberal Democrats at a national level, as a vice-president of Delga and its Chair during 2004, and also serving on other Party organisations.
I've been an administrator of the English Wikipedia for about 15 years, also involved with the operation of the organisation in the past.
A former gamer, I played EVE-Online, where I was elected as a member of the first player-elected council in 2008. I've been a fan of the Boston Red Sox for many years and watch nearly all their games online each season. in 2019 I also started following the Auckland Tuatara team. I also have a Bacon Number of two.
Managing Consultant, The Creative Organisation
London:Location: Lat: 51.565945 Long: -0.148303 (WOEID 23408)
Country:Location: Lat: 51.8345 Long: -0.4606 (WOEID 28365)
Updated: January 22, 2020